Joan Fontaine Quotes

Marriage, as an institution, is as dead as the dodo bird.

If you keep marrying as I do, you learn everybody`s hobby.

I married first, won the Oscar before Olivia (sister Olivia de Havilland) did, and if I die first, she`ll undoubtedly be livid because I beat her to it!

(Before the failure of her first marriage) Too many Hollywood marriages have smashed up because husbands were Mr. Joan Fontaine. That will never happen in our marriage because I am 100% Mrs. Brian Aherne.

(on working with Orson Welles on Jane Eyre (1944)) You can not battle an elephant. Orson was such a big man in every way that no one could stand up to him. On the first day at 4 o`clock, he strode in followed by his agent, a dwarf, his valet and a whole entourage. Approaching us, he proclaimed, "All right, everybody turn to page eight." And we did it, though he was not the director.

(on Charles Boyer) Charles Boyer remains my favorite leading man. I found him a man of intellect, taste and discernment. He was unselfish, dedicated to his work. Above all, he cared about the quality of the film he was making, and unlike most leading men I have worked with, the single exception being Fred Astaire, his first concern was the film, not himself.

(on Olivia de Havilland) We`re getting closer together as we get older, but there would be a slight problem of temperament. In fact, it would be bigger than Hiroshima.

(on working with director George Cukor on The Women (1939)) I learned about acting from George than anyone else and through just one sentence. He said, "Think and feel and the rest will take care of itself."

I hope I`ll die on stage at the age at 105, playing Peter Pan.

(on working with director George Cukor on "The Women") I learned about acting from George than anyone else and through just one sentence. He said, "Think and feel and the rest will take care of itself."

(on working with Orson Welles on "Jane Eyre") You can not battle an elephant. Orson was such a big man in every way that no one could stand up to him. On the first day at 4 o`clock, he strode in followed by his agent, a dwarf, his valet and a whole entourage. Approaching us, he proclaimed, "All right, everybody turn to page eight." And we did it, though he was not the director.

Our Website Community
Whos Dated Who
  • Celebrity dating gossip
  • Celebrity couples
  • Celebrity babies
Lucy Who
  • Celebrity profiles
  • Filmographies and TV show credits
  • Magazine covers
  • Quotes and trivia
  • Discographies and lyrics
Fan Pix